Sunday, August 27, 2006

Getting back into fitness with Maya

I haven't posted for a while. There's a reason for that: I haven't been exercising. Not even with videogames. I just turned into a slug for a while.

It's funny how both exercising and not exercising are stable equilibria. When you don't exercise, you don't feel like exercising. You say "I'm too tired." or "I don't have time today, maybe tomorrow." On the other hand, when you do exercise, it's pretty easy to just keep doing it. The tricky part is making that first step, overcoming your inertia to just get it done. From there on it's all downhill.



I jumped back into it last week, returning to Maya of Yourself!Fitness (PS2). Rather than continue from where I left off, I deleted my old user account and started entirely fresh. (I'm hoping to unlock the final area this time - this always eluded me before). After the initial fitness evaluation, you are asked whether your current level of fitness is sedentary, moderately active, or active. The answer matters. The program scales your difficulty level appropriately. The first time I tried Y!F I said I was "sedentary" and had many workouts of answering "no sweat!" to Maya's "How hard was that?" queries before it got difficult enough to be interesting. This time around I said I was "moderately active" and the difficulty of my half-hour workouts was just about right from day one.

Speaking of overcoming inertia, jumping into things, and things being all downhill, I might have found a new real-world hobby:



(that's me with Connie of BayAreaSkydiving.)

Share this:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dani In NC said...

Congrats to you for getting back into the swing of things! I am trying to jump on the fitness horse yet again, starting tomorrow. I don't have any videogame fitness equipment, but I do have two consoles so I am interested in getting a new dance pad and a DDR game. Keep up the good work, and keep posting!

8/27/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Congrats on getting back. I have been exercising but not video game exercising. I have been playing with a non exercise sim like game.
I want to set up my system again in the next few days. I want to get the new Yourself Fitness! when it comes out.

8/29/2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for your first jump, I assume AFF is the next thing to do ?

There is one more iPod-based workout software on the market, by the way:
http://www.pumpone.com/
(Didn't try it yet, though.)

8/31/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Alex: yep, I'll be doing AFF level one this weekend. So if I never post any more updates, I guess you'll have to assume the parachute didn't work!

9/02/2006 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home