Saturday, September 30, 2006

Videogame-Related Injury

Have you ever hurt yourself playing an exercise game? When I play Dance Dance Revolution too much, I tend to hurt my feet. "DDR heel" is my latest complaint - that's the pain you get when walking after having stomped your heel too hard on a game controller.

DDR Freak often has injury discussions related to Dance Dance Revolution and Pump It Up, and has even done polls. Here's a sample of complaints:
stepped off the pad and twisted my ankle.

Slipped playing doubles (someone drank water while playing before me) and hit my head on the bar

cutting my toe open on the first time i beat paranoia survivor

I had an asthma attack

My friend has a heart disease and only discovered it after playing a few games of DDR - Her heart was racing and she had to be rushed to the hospital.

Dislocated my sholder while playing MaxX Unlimited. In the arcade I had one arm on the bar I had to do a few steps very fast. The arm that was not on the bar got jurked by moving so fast. I walked off the stage and left...in pain.

blisters, sprained ankle, almost fainted (literally) broke off my left big toe-nail.

[regarding the toenail quote:]
Wow, that happend to me, too! And i'll never DDR in 2-inch platforms again...

My left big toenail fell off after playing ~6 hours a day on a cruise ship last summer.

my friend went for a double knee drop and smacked his shins on the sides of the pad.

My knees really hurt from playing DDR.

I have a 3/4 inch scar accross my right knee from sliding into the metal at the back of one center down arrows at the end of Foxy Lady... The metal doesn't round down around the outer edge.

Probably a compound injury is mine. Under my knee caps on both legs I have calcified spots which have happened from knee dropping during freestyles. Yeah...I don't feel anything in those spots anymore. Other than that anything else have been screw corner-piece bruises/cuts in my knees and palms from misplaced hands and other stupidity (like the end of LIADZ Remix Nightmare).

I have suffered with many bruised knees to where I also don't feel them anymore and also, I have bent my fingers wrong coming down to hit the pad with my hands a few times. Recently I had a full combo on Soca Make Yu Ram Ram on nightmare and during the spin I slipped and busted my knee.... ouch...

Most of the injuries I usually get while playing are hurt fingers or busted knees... I get over it...

I nearly broke my own kneecaps once coming to an unexpected stop during R3 Heavy Doubles - I'm not quite sure what exactly I did to them, but they made this unpleasant cracking noise and were essentially immobile for several days.

I usually go with a few toe touch stetches before play, lol, that doesn't usually work for most of the songs I play....well, i have bruised my leg and now it is hard for me to even walk right now, I still play PIU though!
Like any other sport, videogame exercise can hurt. Know your limitations. Wear sensible gear, warm up a little, do an easy song or two to warm up. Oh, and if you don't already do knee drops, don't start now.

(Sources: mostly DDR Freak and Indy DDR.)

Share this:

8 Comments:

Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Maybe marching in place before an easy song would be better

9/30/2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

And maybe going to a doctor first
before starting that's always the warning before exercise programs.

9/30/2006 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long would it take to lose weight if you're playing dance dance revolution and eyetoy: kinetic? I play the two everyday, like monday kinetic, tuesday ddr, wednesday kinetic, etc etc. I just started yesterday. I'm doing the kinetic on the 12 week thing, and on ddr i'm just doing workout mode on light. So how long would it take to lose weight and see physical improvements?

10/03/2006 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gone through multiple stages of chronic joint pain during my Dance Dance Revolution career, and almost entirely because of this, I now spend about half an hour every morning stretching. Stretching of the hamstrings and quadriceps has been one of the crucial improvements that have allowed me to continue playing the game; the use of very light sports shoes with high-quality padded inserts in them has been the other.

12/02/2006 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if DDR songs were THAT difficult..

4/16/2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

alaka: Some ddr songs certainly are THAT difficult. Have you tried songs of 9-foot or 10-foot difficulty level? For instance, can you play the song "DDR Max 300" with no risk of injury? Not even a stubbed toe?

If you say you can, I frankly don't believe you.

4/16/2007 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played yesterday, and pulled a ligament in the back of my knee. never done knee drops, nor do I care to. I'm only on 7s and 8s, so I haven't ever broken anything, cut anything, but I have fallen off during doubles. am I discouraged to continue, no. am I sore right now, yes.

12/07/2010 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of days ago, I was determined to try and get an A on Pluto Relinquish on difficult, so one day I'd be able to work on expert mode and master that as well. I worked on it on training mode with progressing speeds for 3 hours straight AT LEAST. I took frequent breaks and stayed hydrated, but I pushed my right calf muscle too far, so now it hurts to walk, go up and down stairs. It also hurts to stand up after sitting.

In otherwords, I feel like House.

5/17/2011 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home